Thanks, Giada! (Stuffed Eggplant Recipe)
May 11, 2011 § Leave a comment
A few weeks ago I was watching the Today show while getting ready for the day. Giada de Laurentiis was on the show along with her mother, and they were demonstrating a recipe for Eggplant Rollups (or something like that). While I don’t remember the name, I did remember the basic idea behind the recipe that included eggplant, mushrooms, garlic, and tomato sauce. I made a few adjustments of my own, and this recipe is easily adaptable to whatever filling you want to put inside the eggplant.
Stuffed Eggplant with Yellow Squash and Mushrooms
2 eggplants, sliced lengthwise
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 yellow squash, chopped
6 oz. mushrooms, any kind you like, chopped
beans, any kind you like
2 c. tomato sauce
parmeasan cheese, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Slice eggplant length wise and place on baking sheet. Brush with olive oil. Bake 20 minutes on each side or until soft and slightly browned.
3. While the eggplant is baking, heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add garlic and saute. Then add squash, mushrooms, beans, and rosemary. Cook until the moisture is released. Finish with salt and pepper. Set aside.
4. Let the eggplant cool until you are able to handle it without burning yourself. Then, one slice at a time add the squash mixture to the end of the slice and roll it up. Place in a casserole dish. Repeat with all slices.
5. Top the eggplant with tomato sauce and bake approximately 35 minutes, or until bubbly.
6. Serve topped with grated parmesan cheese.