pear and ginger cake
February 23, 2009 § 1 Comment
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 oz almond meal (blend up raw almonds using blender or food processor)
1/2 cup milk (i used skim)
11 oz sugar (about 1 1/3 c, but weigh it for accuracy)
1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
9 oz plain flour (about 1 1/4 c, but weigh it for accuracy)
2 tsp baking powder
3-4 (depending on size) Bosc pears, peeled and diced
Confectioner’s sugar (for topping)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. Butter baking dish. A springform pan was suggested, but I didn’t have one, so I just used the dish you see above. Sprinkle with half of the almond meal until bottom is coating. Shake away excess.
3. Blend together ggs, milk, sugar, ginger, flour and baking powder with a mixer until it is a thick batter.
4. Fold the pears in the batter and pour into pan. I can also imagine adding chocolate chips or substituting the pears for apples or blueberries.
5. Sprinkle with the rest of almond meal and add a few pieces of butter on top.
6. Bake for 1 1/2 hours but check it while it’s baking (use a knife and insert in the cake, if dry, the cake is cooked). After about 1/2 an hour my cake was getting very brown, so I covered it with a piece of foil to prevent it from burning.
7. Take out and let cool. Then, dust with confectioner’s sugar.