layered vegetable quiche
April 28, 2007 § 3 Comments
During my search for Passover foods at Gluten Free by the Bay, I came across this recipe for Purple Potato Quiche at Gluten-Free Goddess. I really wanted to use purple potatoes because I thought it would just be the prettiest thing in the world. However, I could not find any purple potatoes. Instead I used a variety of other potatoes: garnet yams, red potatoes, and sweet potatoes in addition to red peppers, zucchini, and carrots. The combination of all these great vegetables with the rich, cheesy filling made it the perfect dinner for the beginning of spring. I served it warm with a mixed green salad.
Layered Vegetable Quiche (makes 1 quiche in a standard pie plate)
4-5 small – medium potatoes (choose a variety)
1 c carrot sticks (i used the precut ones from the store)
1 red bell pepper
2 cloves of garlic, minced
5 large eggs
1/2 c nonfat milk
1/4t grated nutmeg
1/2c cheese (i used parmeasan because i had it in my fridge, but gruyere, swiss, cheddar, or some other cheese would work well too.)
salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 375 F.
1. Wash and slice veggies.
2. Drizzle veggies with olive oil. Sprinkle with minced garlic, sea salt and pepper, and mix them all around with your hands, being sure to evenly coat the veggies.
3. Roast veggies for about 40 -45 minutes, or until tender.
4. Whip together the eggs, milk, and nutmeg.
5. Lightly oil the pie plate.
6. Spoon the roasted veggies into the pie plate and arrange them evenly.
7. Sprinkle the cheese on top.
8. Pour milk mixture over the veggies, making sure it is evenly distributed.
9. Bake for about 25 – 35 minutes, or until it is set and golden brown.
10. Enjoy it warm!
tip: keep the leftovers in the pie plate, so the next day you can pop it back into the oven to recrisp it. a microwave will surely do this quiche no justice.
recipe adapted from the Purple Potato Quiche by Gluten-Free Goddess